As pet owners, we want the absolute best for our furry little family members. But, have you ever really taken the time to ask yourself just how and what you can do to be the best pet owner you can be? Well, we have, and we’ve put together a list of suggestions to help you be the best that you can be while bringing happiness and good health to your pets’ lives. Here’s what you can do:
- Educate Yourself – The first thing that you can do in becoming an outstanding pet owner is to simply take responsibility. This means taking the time to learn everything there is to know about your pet, including their breed, how much exercise they require, how much maintenance their coat requires, how often they need to go outside, which products you should be using on them (if any), which diet or nutrition plan you should be following, etc.
- Forge Those Bonds – Focus on the enrichment of your human-pet relationship. Make time for bonding each and every day. This time can be spent petting, playing, hiking, going to the park, etc.
- Learn to Read the Mood – In order to really care for your pet, you must learn to detect the signs of stress. For humans, we do this naturally with one another, as we read body language. But, do you know what a stressed pet looks like? Some indicators of stress in pets include trembling, hiding, excessive yawning and licking, as well as hardening of the eyes.
- Reduce Stress – One major key to keeping a happy, healthy pet is to reduce anxiety triggers. Most pets get stressed from stresses brought on from the outside world, whether it’s sounds, travel, other living beings, etc., you must learn to control these triggers by finding ways to calm them when exposed to too much stimuli.
- Create a Shared Home – Remember, your pets are a part of your family, so make them feel at home too. Make sure their food and water dishes are easily accessible, they have access to a designated quiet space, litter boxes are conveniently located, etc.
- Stay Active – Pets need regular activity and stimulation to stay healthy. So, create time in your schedule to ensure that they’re able to work their energy out each and every day. Provide outlets for play time, and stimulate their minds with puzzles and games.
- Provide Smooth Adjustments – When facing new environments, be sure to help your pet through the transition. Pets need guidance and reassurance. So, introduce them to new places and things gradually.
- Schedule Regular Checkups – Pet owners must be diligent about veterinary visits. Just as is the case for humans, preventive care is everything when it comes to maintaining good health.
- Engage in Social Activities – While some breeds have a harder time socializing than others, the truth is, a well-socialized bet benefits absolutely everyone. But, again, this is something that you should introduce gradually. Start by meeting others (pets and humans alike) on neutral territory, and remember to provide positive reinforcement for good behavior.
- Celebrate – Don’t forget to celebrate your love for your pet! Cherish all of those beautiful moments between you and your pet at every stage of their life.
Being the best pet owner you can be is all about showing your love. Show your love by caring for your pet’s overall health and well-being, and in return, you’ll receive their unconditional love and support!