Most dedicated pet owners would say that animals deserve the best absolutely every day, and we agree! Our pets are very fortunate to live in such warm, loving homes. And, with World Animal Day coming up on October 4th, we get to celebrate all of our four legged, feathered and scaled friends the world over, just a little bit more, and show our appreciation and dedication to their well-being.
So, if you’re looking to plan a special day for the animals in your life, here’s a little inspiration and some exiting activities that you can do with your beloved pets to celebrate the occasion:
- Bake some homemade dog or cat treats.
- Make a home cooked meal for your cat or dog with some boiled or steamed chicken.
- Plan a trip to your local park or doggy playground so your pup can enjoy some fresh air and socialization.
- Give your pet a good bath, and wash/clean up their areas and play things.
- Give your dog or cat a massage or a good brushing.
- Head outdoors with your pup for a game of hide and seek.
- Bring the games indoors, and hide treats around your house so that your dog or cat can hunt for them.
- Organize a play date or a group outing to the beach or park.
- Play photographer for the day, and take some cute snapshots of your pet to make a framed portrait for display in your home.
- Educate and treat yourself to a new book on animal and pet behaviors to get even closer with your animal companions.
- Treat your dog or cat to a new toy, piece of furniture, scratching post, bed, etc.
- Get crafty, and make your own cat or dog toys (or mouse, bunny, guinea pig, etc.). You can get fancy, or just keep it simple with a rolled-up paper ball – they love them!
- If you have a younger pet who isn’t ready to run free on their own yet, especially small puppies, kittens and rabbits, make an outdoor play pen for them in the yard so they can stretch their legs and get some fresh air.
- Treat your pet rabbits to some fresh carrot foliage.
- Get your pet fish a clean new water plant or aquarium statue to explore.
- Spread the love, and offer to help care for your friends’ or neighbors’ pets while they’re away.
- Volunteer at a local shelter, and share some love, or become a pet-sitter.
- Start your own fundraiser for your favorite animal charity or outreach program.
- Explore the Internet for some World Animal Day activities near you that you and your pet can participate in.
- Look for wildlife charities where you can “adopt” a wild animal.
- Spend the day at a conservation park or a community farm to explore animals in their natural habitats.
- Encourage your family and friends to share their own pet and animal experiences.
There are many great ways you can celebrate World Animal day, but no matter what you decide to do, just make this special day fun and meaningful for you and your animal loved ones.