Do you ever find yourself wondering, “Why does my dog keep sleeping in bed with me,” when they have their own comfy bed? Well, you’re not alone. Though often loving and adorable, it’s a bit of a dilemma dog lovers face. You spend time and money picking out the perfect washable bed for your pet only to find that the one they actually seem interested in is yours. Why is this?
It turns out, there are actually many reasons for your dog’s seemingly strange behavior in that they simply can’t resist your big bed. It’s all about learning to better read and understand them. Only then will you have a better chance of getting your bed back for yourself. Here’s what they might be thinking:
- They’re “King” – Yes, some dogs just feel they’re entitled to the big bed. After all, many of us treat them like royalty, so they can’t possibly expect to just sleep on the floor!
- They’re Proving a Point – Sometimes, your dog simply does things because they know certain things are wrong or off limits. We all know that feeling, though, sometimes it just feels “good” to be “bad.” And, we all hope we don’t get caught!
- They’re Lonely – This assumption is pretty straight forward – your dog doesn’t want to sleep alone. And, hey! Can you blame them? They just want to share the love! Remember, dogs don’t understand that they’re not being left out. They just see someone to love and who can love them in return, and that brings great comfort.
- They’re Cold – Believe it or not, even with all of that fur, dogs can sometimes get cold. And, when they do, of course they’re going to turn to their human space heater. It just makes bedtime a little cozier all snuggled up in your warmth.
- They Like the Feel – Because most bed covers are made with washer-friendly materials, they’re not exactly luxury quality linens. Our beds often just feel better to them. After all, we seek out that high thread count for comfort, so it seems only natural that they’d enjoy the feel too.
- They Like the Scent – Who doesn’t like the smell of freshly laundered sheets? We sure do, so why wouldn’t your K9 companion? Of course, this leads to the endless cycle of having to wash the sheets because they smell like dog.
- They Like Their Scent – Along with that fresh smell, dogs are drawn to our beds simply because they like that it carries their scent (if they’ve already slept there, that is). To them, this is now just part of their domain.
- They Like the Leg Room – While a lot of dogs sleep in the snuggled in donut position in their beds, others like to really stretch out when they sleep. And, they can do that in the big bed. Mattresses offer more real estate for them to really lay themselves out comfortably.
- They Love You – Perhaps the most definitive answer to why your dog doesn’t want to leave your bed is simply because they love you and want to be near you.
Dogs are known as man’s best friend. And, sometimes, man’s best friend just wants to remain close to, well, their best friend! We can’t blame them for that. But, that doesn’t mean you have to live with this behavior if you don’t want to. You can learn to train your dog to stay out of your bed. And, if all else fails, they’ll just have to get used to a closed door. Sweet dreams!